Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, it provides our bodies and brains with the fuel they need after an overnight fast - that’s where its name originates from, breaking the fast! So kick start your day with these 5 healthy breakfast ideas designed to whet the appetite of even the most habitual breakfast skippers.
1. 'Apple Pie' Porridge
Short on time but need a breakfast that packs a punch? Try this warm and comforting porridge spiced up with the classic flavours of homemade apple pie. Full of energy and protein it will keep you going well past lunchtime.
Throw all the ingredients into a saucepan. Heat and stir until boiling, then lower the heat and simmer gently for five minutes, stirring often. Spoon the porridge into a serving bowl and add a sprinkling of cinnamon. Simple!
2. 'Grab and Go' Breakfast Bar
Sometimes mornings can be a bit of a rush. Make a batch of these granola bars, made with no added sugar, in advance for a healthy breakfast on the go.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C, gas mark 6). In a bowl, mix together the oats, cherries, cranberries and seeds. Pour in the melted butter and mix in thoroughly to make sure the oats are well coated. On a separate plate, mash the bananas into a pulp with a fork, add to the oat mixture and mix well. Spread the mixture into a 30cm x 20cm tin. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Once cooked, transfer to a wire rack to cool, then cut into six bars.
3. 'Berry Breakfast' Smoothie
Wake up to a delicious blend of banana, strawberries, blueberries and peanut butter. This fruit smoothie recipe is a good source of protein and fibre.
In a blender, combine the banana, milk, blueberries, strawberries, peanut butter, and honey. Process about 1 minute, or until the consistency of a thick milkshake.
4. Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon, Asparagus, and Goat Cheese
Gourmet breakfast in just 13 minutes? Sign us up! This smoked salmon, asparagus, and goat cheese scramble is full of healthy fats and packed with protein. This scramble has all the makings of hearty breakfast fare--butter, cheese, protein--but with healthy fats, fresh vegetables, and a light caloric toll. Serve it with a scoop of roasted potatoes and fresh fruit.
1. Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet or saute pan over medium heat. When the butter begins to foam, add the asparagus and cook until just tender ("crisp-tender" in kitchen parlance). Season with salt and pepper.
2. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk with the milk. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper and add to the pan with the asparagus. Turn the heat down to low and use a wooden spoon to constantly stir and scrape the eggs until they begin to form soft curds. A minute before they're done, stir in the goat cheese.
3. Remove from the heat when the eggs are still creamy and soft (remember, scrambled eggs are like meat-- they continue to cook even after you cut the heat) and fold in the smoked salmon.
5. Strawberry Parfaits
If you've got a sweet tooth when you roll out of bed, head straight for this low-fat strawberry parfait. Breakfast that tastes like dessert? That's our kind of morning!
1.Cut 1 lb strawberries into quarters and divide half among 4 glasses.
2.Divide 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt and 3 Tbsp muesli cereal evenly among glasses.
3.Repeat with remaining berries and additional 1 cup yogurt and 3 Tbsp muesli. Top with sliced berries.